Thursday, November 10, 2011

Part One of “the res” trip….

One day we all climbed into what was supposed to be a jeep, but when you’ve added to the population at the rate in which I have, well…you need something more like a suburban jacked up on big wheels. So we climbed into the jeep-ish suburban and off we went through a part of the Navajo Indian Reservation that is in Canyon de Chelly (pronounced “de shay”). I honestly can’t adequately describe the experience of being at the bottom of a canyon, nor can I fully explain how your head feels when you’ve driven through the washed out sand roads for several hours. But one thing I know for sure, you can bank on never being the same….literally in every way.

I’m not sure if it was the intensity of the blue sky, the crystal clear air, the enormous rocks, the 2 previous concussions, or all of the above;

however, how do you fully describe this:

191

How do you say THIS high?

154

…Or THIS deep?

198

…Or THIS wide?

What we experienced there was incredible! The pictures can never do it justice because a lens can’t capture the enormous open sky. A camera can’t quite communicate the same sense of “awe” as being there in person. Matter of fact, it is SSOOOO BIG and SSOOOOOO HIGH that I had to back WAY up! I couldn’t get anywhere close to the edge! It’s probably the repercussions of having MY last name for the better part of 36 years, but holy cow fear of heights batman! If I said “boys… back up, be careful, stand still, quit climbing the rails, hold someone’s hand, Dad watch Ramiro….” once, I said it a million times! Ugh, it was painful. For everyone!

Anyways…..I have begun to put together some other pictures and things that were significant to me while in the desert…..hopefully I’ll get them all posted soon!

No comments: