Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Planting of the Lord

Once I started having boys, I quickly found myself anxious to have a girl.
It's not that I didn't love having boys so much, but it was more of what
I felt I was missing out on...
the dolls, the bows, the sugar and spice, the fun outfits, the pink, etc.
I was just sure I needed a girl, and I'm thankful God thought so to!

This little girl has taken this family to a new level.
As you will see, she has touched and changed every aspect of my life...
literally and figuratively!
I'm madly in love with her and
here's some of why:

One day she announced that she had gotten dressed to go "runny-ing"
(she's seen this happen a few times, she knows the routine apparently)
I laughed hysterically over her version of it.
I know she thinks she's doing it just like me, but I felt a few things needed clarifying...
First off, sorry Jane Fonda, but I Do NOT wear head bands.
I do however put "a" (like as in ONE) clip in my hair on occasion,
Madelyn thinks more is better.
I may wear long sleeve turtlenecks,
but I rarely forgo the running shorts to wear underwear only,
(ahem dear child...get some pants on!!)
Most days I aim for shoes on the right feet and I always wear socks!
She did however get one thing right...the smile is perfect!
Running makes me happy and I bounce out the door beaming
from ear to ear most every time I run!
You go girl!!


I also love how Maddie instinctively cares for her babies.
She daily gives them a bottle and takes them on walks down
the hallway in the stroller, but mostly she wraps them
up in her own "lovie" and snuggles them!
She often gazes at them and says "don't cry baby".
It warms my heart and I love how this shot catches
her looking at her baby, its so mothering!


Recently (for a week) Madelyn decided to reject her crib and would not
sleep in it! No way, no how.
I peeked in on her and found her fast asleep in the midst of all her toys.
Somehow, it was precious to me.


I also find it precious how her brothers (at times) care for her...
Andre had decided to help get Madelyn's potty set up for her
(this is the extra one I bought to put in the back of the suburban...
Mothers who have potty trained know why that's a life saver!)
and as he looked at the instructions upside down, he told Madelyn
step by step (all 3 of them) how to do it!
She said "ok...ok...ok..."

and then one day I left my coke on the table and later walked by to see this:


I mean, seriously? Is that not precious?
Who wouldn't rather drink a coke from a pink plastic tea cup on a saucer?
Thank you Maddie for looking out for me...I love how you think!

and speaking of precious, what about pink "snippers"...
every princess needs a pair of these right?!


She also loves to sit at my desk and act like she is "stuny-ing".
(I'm not sure where she gets her unhealthy love for post its,
its a mystery to me for sure)



and speaking of her "stuny-ing",
I often find her love for "decorating" my reading material.
Though it may frustrate me at times,
I secretly love it!
I thought this page was perfect and it wasn't by accident...
God reminds me in the smallest of ways.

Of all the pages that she could have "decorated",
she chose this one
and as I said "oh Maddie, please don't color on Mommies books...
then I read it...
a planting of the Lord


He had my attention...
my daughter and my 3 sons are clearly a "planting of the Lord" in my life


I was reminded of my deepest desire:
to water them well,
richly fertilize their soils
and protect them from the weeds...

and why would I do so?

Do you see there under the scribbling?
What God plants, He does so for the "display of his splendor".
That's why.
That moment from God would not be wasted on me.


No comments: