Saturday, March 20, 2010

Running through the hidden treasures in my back yard

This week the kids have been in Florida visiting their father. I find myself on an unusual road when they are gone, a journey of emotions that are up and down with twists and turns. When the kids are home, I'm begging for peace and quiet. Yet oddly when they are gone, I struggle to know just what to do with the peace and quiet.

I decided to go running this morning on our mountain behind the cow pastures (and by "our" I really mean my parents!).

Though we go up there from time to time, usually its not by foot and never have I run it. I brought my 100 lb. Weimaraner, Brody...as my "Brody Guard". I am such a wimp and don't particularly like being out there alone. Brody is the best thing ever, though he is a hunting dog and most certainly wants to kill something, he stays close and takes every opportunity to snuggle next to my face!

I also took my camera because I had a hunch I'd wish I had it... I was right!


I took a ton of pictures, but here's a few that show what is perfectly tucked away in the mountains of my own back yard (again, "my own" is like the "our" mentioned above, ha).

I ran in the grassy hay fields...
I ran through the barren trees and climbed the rocks...I pretended to be a gymnast again on fallen trees...
I ran up hill, up hill and up hill...
I ran on pine trails and rocky streams...I jumped over cow um, well, you know #2...

following my Brody Guard every step of the way, he seems to intuitively know the best way up, so I followed quickly behind him...

I peeked down on a few sun bathing cows...and made a few horses nervous...I counted deer footprints in the mud and made some of my own.

I listened to the sound of the woods...and later cranked my tunes on my ipod...I took in the smells and felt the cool breeze...but mostly...

I ran and ran and ran...
and sang and cried and laughed...
and ran some more!

This is God's country, I tell ya... it's the best place to sing out loud, cry tears you can't let go of anywhere else, and play like you were a little girl again!

I had one of the best mornings I've had in a long time...my legs felt great and my spirit is renewed!

And I have one very tired dog now laying at my feet...its gunna be a good day!


**added this afternoon**
Brody and I also have a few too many ticks to prove we've "been there, done that"! ack!!










No comments: