Thursday, November 25, 2010

happy thanks giving

*written on 11/25/10*

Wow, Thanksgiving morning! I love the holidays! I love the way the sun rises differently on this Thursday morning. I love how the breeze blows a fresh sense of excitement through the air and the holiday spirit fills our hearts like a thick fog! I'm dying to run this morning, I'm desperate to get outdoors so my mind can settle down.

As I opened my eyes this morning, pondering the thoughts of "thanksgiving", I've been reminded of a few things. I wanted to share them here.

Sometimes "happy thanks giving" is tough. There are times when those 3 words are simply exhausting. I am deeply aware of the families that are not going to find this day easy. Hope has grown legs and walked out the door. Love is a foreign language. Commitment is merely a word, not a verb. Jobs have ended. The bank account is starving. The stress loads are dumping quicker than anyone could possibly imagine digging out from under. I know many are adorning their smiling "plastic faces" today, while deep inside their hearts are curled up in the fetal position screaming in agony and pain.

I've been there too, on this day specifically. I know the gut-wrenching feeling when people would say "Happy Thanksgiving". It was incredibly confusing. I wasn't "happy", I was too numb for a feeling, let alone one of "thanks" and I was empty and had nothing to "give".

There is something about the human heart that allows us to identify and carry a burden for those who are walking down roads where our own feet have been. Its a heart condition that gives us the ability to feel a bit of their pain, simply because we have hurt in a very similar way.

So today I want to encourage you, to lift you up with the Word, and to remind those who are struggling with "Happy Thanksgiving":


"Rejoice in the Lord always,

I will say it again: Rejoice!

Let your gentleness be evident to all.

The Lord is near.

Do not be anxious about anything,

but in everything,

by prayer and petition,

with thanksgiving,

present your requests to God.

And the peace of God,

which transcends all understanding,

will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.....

for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

I know what it is to be in need,

and I know what it is to have plenty.

I have learned the secret of being content

in any and every sitation,

whether well fed or hungry,

whether living in plenty or in want.

I can do everything through Him who gives my strength."


These verses remind me that I must act....reguardless of how I feel!
Our feelings are slow to respond sometimes, they may have stage fright. And that's ok! We don't live by how we feel, we live by the promises of God which are not subjective to how we feel right now, or in 2 hours from now!
So...Give thanks.
Its a verb.
Pray.
That's a verb too!
When you do, God promises to stand guard over your heart and your mind.
You will sense His presence,
for He is the peace that rises above all understanding.
You won't want to miss it!

No comments: