Sunday, August 28, 2011

When you want to give up

Yesterday I went running right smack in the middle of the day. It was a risky move being that it was pushing 100 degrees outside and all, but I needed it because I was feeling the frustration levels getting too high. It was one of those "I need to run or else I'm gunna be issuing a bunch of apologies" kinda runs. Nothing had gone wrong per say, but life is busy and sometimes getting 4 children out the door (on time) for anything is such an ordeal. I had already exhausted my deep breathing, my 10 second time out, and my "relax on demand" skills by this point....I knew a good hard run would do the trick.

I did what any respectable and desperate mother would do, I bribed the kids and hightailed it for the door before anyone had the opportunity to negotiate a better deal for themselves! It was successful and I was sweating profusely within minutes!

The first 2 miles were perfect; I felt strong, fast, and focused. I loved every minute of it! Unfortunately, this euphoria came to a screeching halt and within minutes I wasn't feeling this run anymore. I was hot, thirsty, and becoming quickly agitated. I had come to the point where I would need to dig deep to finish. The problem was, right now I don't have a lot "in reserves".



I started pulling out my mantra's I've used over the years. Words that have gotten me through when the going got tough... "Jill, just one foot", "Your stronger than you think", "run like a mother", "girl, don't let that beat you", or here's one of my fav's-"run like you stole something"!


As I was rehearsing my lines, I got thinking about my boys. About the things I've said to them when they are about to play a tough game, and its so hot you can hardly stand to breathe!

(Dakota #16)

About the times when they have had all they can take, yet the coach has just assigned another 50 yard sprint drill at the end of the 2 hour practice. If they can keep going when they have nothing left, so can I. If they can go stand up to guys twice their size and stay strong, I can finish this run.

(Dakota taking down the biggest boy out there!)



Ramiro #12....QB

Andre #16....Center

A perfect combo!

(Ramiro taking one last look at his line!)

Right now my boys are fighting through some grueling hot workouts and the games are even more demanding! My boys have been hit hard, run over, tackled, and yelled at....and yet not a one of them has quit! Now it was my turn, I must prove what I'm made of when I'd rather give up! When I'm exhausted and at the end of my rope, I'm reminded of these pictures...of my 3 boys digging deep and staying strong! And so that's what I did, in honor of my boys, I cranked out a few more miles and finished strong! I am so blessed!

No comments: