Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Land of Popcorn

Much of my grad school focus so far has been on trauma and grief therapy for children. It’s a bit daunting. I cry a lot; I feel overwhelmed with the statistics and wish this work onto someone else who doesn’t have the tender heart that I have. However, one aspect of working with children that is fascinating is how they see the world. Adults so often take for granted that our cognitive minds allow us to see things in a much different way than children (who are very concrete and have limited past history in which to put things in perspective). It is amazing how they fill in the blanks when their brain can’t figure something out just yet. This issue is incredibly significant when working with children because as they draw, re-enact, or recreate a story….we are often times dealing with their perceived reality (not that the “reality” is any better!). Even if their understanding is somewhat skewed from how it actually happened, it IS their experience and that is what becomes real to them….and sadly enough its traumatic either way!

Recently we had run out of popcorn and I had told the kids they would just have to wait until I went to the store the next time. Of course I NEVER promise a date on that deal…they don’t so much understand “I got busy”!

Madelyn says, “Well we can just go down and get some off the bushes.”

I’m sorry what my dear?

Oh ya Mom the bushes are full of popcorn!”

009

I stood there for a minute…

007

scratching my head…

008

But then it clicked, and as the laughing turned to funny tears…

009

I got thinking, wouldn’t it be great to see the world as they do?

All along I was seeing a field of cotton, she was seeing a field of popcorn!

Oh child, give me your eye’s for just one minute…..I wonder how different it would all seem!

I like Maddie’s version better!

No comments: