Friday, September 5, 2008

On the roads in this small town!!

Hope you can stand another "running experience"...another moment when somehow the most clear pictures and perfect voice from God come together.

For the past few days, I have been reading this book I recently got. Matter of fact...lets state it how it is...I'm devouring it!! Page by page, line by line...sometimes word by word. It is huge...the impact it is making and will make. I think this was no surprise...this book was for me, at this time, this week in my life. Anyways...I will discuss that all later. But, I have been "chewing" on things from this book at almost every moment of the day. Therefore running is just simply the mechanism to allow my "internal self" to really work through some things!! No book, no words to read, no notes to take...just allowing it all to sink in. To mull around a bit in the midst of this foggy place called my brain!! (No comments needed, thanks!!) :)

Ok...so I am getting off the point here... I was anxious to go running yesterday evening. Desperately wanting to get out the door to go hide in myself and further understand what God is teaching me. Towards the end of my run, I was finishing up in my neighborhood. Spending my last mile around the lake I live on, which happens to be a busy part of town. I passed these 4 kids (ages around 15-16 years old) walking smack in the middle of the road. Sidewalks were available on both sides for them of course. The thing here is that there were 2 guys and 2 girls...holding hands. I mean...the 2 guys were holding hands and the 2 girls were holding hands. I didn't get the "just friends" feeling, if you know what I mean. I did a double take not because I had never seen this before, but because in this small town in which we live...this is just not something I have seen much of. At least not right in the middle of town, my neighborhood! I want to be careful here and say that I do not want to pass undo judgement on these kids. Maybe this was only for show. I will never know. But I will say that it was uncomfortable to see, awkward to pass them head on, and I felt so very sad for each of them. Regardless of what is truly going on in their personal lives, there was a shocking moment for me and a fear for my 4 children. What they will be exposed to and what others make seem so normal! My heart was heavy and I haven't stopped thinking about the many pressures that the "evil one" wants to use to destroy our children!!

Then today, just about an hour ago, I put Madelyn in her jogger and Andre on his bike for a walk. About 5 minutes into the walk I happened upon 3 older men standing on the sidewalk holding hands. This time however, they were in a circle...heads bowed and one was praying out loud. It was one of the most tender moments I have seen in awhile. I wanted to run over to them and offer my hands to join in the circle. I didn't, but I wanted to. I was suddenly very encouraged and thankful that these men were comfortable enough to pray with each other right then and there (I think they had run into each other while out walking), and to do so in public.

Beyond the wonderful sense of hope I suddenly felt, I was proud of these men. If the world can display "their" opinions and preferences in the middle of the road...thank heavens we have Christians who will still stand on the sidewalks and do the same...joining together in prayer!!

I was thankful that my sweet children were with me today instead. I was blessed to tell my 3 year old that they were praying when he asked what those guys were doing!!

No comments: