Thursday, January 6, 2011

Starting Lines.

A simple line. A marking signifying one side from another. A place of separation, from past and future. A beginning, something left behind and something else in front.

I love a starting line. The anticipation, the excitement and energy, the hopefulness. It's a wonderful place to be whether its the first day of school, the beginning of a new job, a new home, a brand new baby, a new year or the start of a race. At times, on those rare occasions when I actually see one, a sunrise feels like a starting line too-a new day!

I got a new running journal the other day and as I flipped through the empty pages of the calendar, pages that will soon be filled with miles, times, goals and "reality" (ahem); I was excited about the starting line of 2011. But as I continued to flip through the pages I was reminded that the journey is where most of the lessons are learned. The process of getting from A to B is where we become more of who we are. The exhilaration of the finish line will never be felt if it wasn't for crossing over the starting line and seeing the thing through.

For me, 2011 will be a year of starting lines, long runs and finish lines! I will cross some finish lines this year that I started many, many....lets not get into those details now (*sigh*), but just know that its been a LONG road!! And as soon as I run through the finishers tape this summer, the very next step puts me at another starting line! The education process is gruesome like that! But there is something incredible about seeing things come full circle, no matter how long ago the start was!

Reality is, some races in life require us to start, re-start and start again...can I get an Amen on the second chances?? (And the third?? And the fourth??) The journey as well may take us to different finish lines than we originally thought, and the process often leaving us with blisters and calluses (aka "beauty marks"). My life seems to be summed up in those 2 sentences, never the less:
It takes courage to stand at the starting line, will power to cross over and begin the run, and perseverance to stay on the road (however long it takes) and cross the finish line!

No comments: