Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Resurrection

I'm at a loss for words, there's nothing to say
I sit in silence wondering what led me to this place
How did my heart become so lifeless and cold
Where did the passion go?
When all my efforts seem like chasing wind
I've used up all my strength and there's nothing left to give
I've lost the feeling and I'm down to the core
I can't fake it anymore.

chorus:
Here I am at the end I'm in need of resurrection
Only You can take this empty shell and raise it from the dead
What I've lost to the world what seems far beyond redemption
You can take the pieces in Your hand and make me whole again, again

You speak and all creation falls to its knees
You raise Your hand and calm the waves of the raging sea
You have a way of turning winter to spring
Make something beautiful out of all this suffering

chorus 2:
Here I am once again I'm in need of resurrection
Only You can take this empty shell and raise it from the dead
What I've lost to the world what seems far beyond redemption
You can take the pieces in Your hand and make me whole again, again
You have a way of turning winter to spring
Make something beautiful out of all this suffering


These are the lyrics to a song that I just haven't been able to get out of my head the past day or so. The song is called "Resurrection" by Nicol Sponberg. I had heard it many months ago...didn't ever really make a connection with it until a few days ago! As this song came to mind this week, I decided that I would do a study on Lazarus (since he was the one that I think is being paralleled to in this song). If you are one who can't seem to find relevance in the Bible or you have struggled to find how this book will change your life...you need to call me!! I am constantly amazed at how the stories from thousands of years ago are so incredibly true...still today. And I am excited at how God and the Holy Spirit makes these words that I have heard/read many times before suddenly jump off the page, as if it was the first time I had ever seen it! Sometimes all I can do is shake my head in amazement.

I will not give you my "Jill's watered down version" this time. You just need to go read it yourself. John 11.

As I have pondered why Jesus seemed unconcerned about Lazarus being ill and passing...about how Mary and Martha must have felt as they were begging and pleading for Jesus to come and heal their brother. Why Jesus waited so long. I began to think about my life, my extended family and perhaps many of you...have you ever pleaded with God for healing? I have. My family has. Have we felt like Mary and Martha...desperate? Yes, we have. In this case, the healing was needed physically. For some sort of health crisis that Lazarus was facing. For some of us, that too has been where we have prayed for healing. For God to come and intervene, restoring health to our loved one. But isn't it true that we all have needed healing of another sorts. Emotional? Spiritual? Relational?

I have seen in my life (past and present) how God does at times come immediately and change a situation. Things are resolved quickly and we were given the "desires of our hearts". The perplexing part of life...why at other times does He choose to wait? Why did He allow Lazarus to die? Why does He allow things of this earth to die? Even though we may have presented our concerns, our hurts, our needs, our need for God's healing...with faith, like Mary and Martha. But even still, He waited 4 days. Allowing the grief to be experienced and death to have occurred. Why?

The story really is encouraging. It does give me hope. The awesome thing about God "choosing" to allow death is that He also "chooses" to resurrect. He does have a plan that is far better than ours. Will it hurt? Yes. But just as Jesus said...your faith will be stronger and for those who believe, death is not the end. Jesus allowed Mary and Martha to experience some grief and sorrow, but He knew it was only temporary. For in a few days they would witness the last and maybe most significant miracle of Jesus' life on earth.

It is also worth mentioning, this was also when the Bible says "Jesus wept". He did so because He was witnessing the agonizing grief of the people He loved. He was still able to understand the pain they were experiencing. To feel the sense of loss. He too could relate. But it wasn't long until He would say "Lazarus, come forth". And out walked a man that had died 4 days previously. A man who had life again. New life.

I am encouraged that even in the times when we might be wondering why God has not/didn't bring healing...He is in the business of RESURRECTING! He makes new. He gives new life even though it may not be in the way we were originally wanting. He will make something beautiful out of all the suffering. I don't know about you...but yes, Here I am once again, I'm in need of resurrection!

No comments: