Monday, November 10, 2008

Comfort for a mother **updated**

**update...at bottom of this post**

Today, just this afternoon, a 16 year old body was laid to rest.
But most importantly, last Thursday, November 6, 2008..."Megan" went to be with her Redeemer.

As I watched Linda today...still in a state of shock, burying her only child...I couldn't feel peaceful about the role of a "mother" today. This is just not something a mother should have to do...it seems so unfair at this hour. I must be honest and say that it rattles the "mother" in me a tad...ok...a lot.

The service was very nice, such thoughtful words spoken and sang. The music was peaceful and the Gospel was shared.

As I've come home...flipping from blogspot to blogspot, looking for something of comfort (I did stop by CVS for some Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches...they did help some...all 2 of them!!)...I am reminded that comfort, real "COMFORT", is not found here! I've done this before, and I've come up short every time. Real comfort...the lasting kind, the only true kind, is from the Lord.

So, that is where I will go.
To find hope for the future, strength for the weary, and healing for a hurting heart.
For I know this to be true...we can not give what we do not have!

As we continue to walk with Linda, helping to carry some of the load...I know that we can be a mirror, a reflection of Gods love for her!

*******************
I just had to add this later this evening.
So, I got thinking about "comforts" and just had to come back here for one last thing...I am a person who loves her comforts. And as I was cooking this evening...I realized just how many comforts we really do gravitate towards, maybe without even thinking about it. Yes, the Lord is really the only true comfort...but don't we all have a favorite pair of slippers that just helps us to relax??

I realized that I had gone into my room and covered myself from head to toe with these wonderful "feel good" things. First on the list, my lavender knitted/zipper/hoodie sweater thing...oh its soft and fits me perfectly. Then my velour, olive green pants that are a tad too long in order to keep my ankles warm! Next, my newest "comfort" addition...LLBean scuff slippers ( in chocolate color). Also, anyone love the Burts Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with pomegranate oil?? Gotta have it!! I use it all day long and its a must have! Burts Bees also has a wonderful hand balm that I crave!! This ensemble must be topped off with my wrap-around-the-neck-thing-a-ma-bob that is filled with something that smells wonderful when you heat it up in the microwave (some aromatherapy stress thing)...I think it really works!! Whew!! Talk about comfort, I'm set! Oh ya...maybe some decaf coffee with Gingerbread creamer!!

What are some of ya'lls comfort techniques??
I'm off to heat up my "thing-a-ma-bob" and snuggle with my other comforts...my kids!!

1 comment:

Florida Girl said...

I wanted so much to be there but I am more than sick right now and have to stay away from people in general. I am praying for Linda and holding Megan's portraits near and dear to my heart.