Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My leaves of Thanksgivings.

I am excited to write today.
Thankful that even through trials, there is joy and Thanksgiving.
Humbled that God would choose me this morning.

I got up to go running this morning, though at first not really thrilled about it.
It was 40 something outside and I haven't had much sleep lately (this time due to a baby that is not feeling well).
However I forced myself up because I had this unusual desire to see what was new this morning.
The run wasn't so interesting in and of itself...but as I was headed home, a tender moment was waiting for me.

As I have run the past many weeks, I have noticed the many interesting leaves on the ground. The many shapes and colors have been too numerous to count. I would run from leaf to leaf thinking "oh, that one is my favorite...oh wait, no THIS one is my favorite". On and on I would go, finding my favorite shapes and colors.

I had decided that I would gather a few of them on my way home this morning to use as name markers for my Thanksgiving table. Every person would have their name on a card (I know, so Martha Stewart-ish of me...but I just can't help myself!!) that would then be setting on the leaf that I had placed on their plates/napkins.

I wanted to make sure to have at least one for each person, so as I was heading home I picked out my "favorites"... one for Dan, found a good one for Dakota, another for Ramiro, one for Andre and a cute smaller one for Madelyn.

As I was searching among the leaves, some I found under a bush, another one came from around the tree across the lawn, some were in plain sight just sitting on the grass...I wanted to savor the moment of collecting my Thanksgivings. I have much to be thankful for and if I were to gather a leaf for every blessing I have had, I would need some help getting them all home. Some of my blessings come to mind immediately, they are out in plain sight. But others, I have to think a bit harder about. I must search my heart a little more, looking for the blessing that may be hiding behind the bushes in life. Never-the-less, they are there and I find joy in knowing that my life has "blessingS". Plural.

Once I was satisfied with my bundle of leaves, I continued on home. I wondered what people were thinking when they saw my arms full of dried leaves. I'm sure it never crossed their mind that these were representing my "Thanksgivings" and furthermore, that I would be somehow using them as decorations on a table with food.

I stopped suddenly when I noticed that in the center of the sidewalk there was this one leaf, laying there all alone, in the shape of a perfect heart. As I bent down to pick it up, the emotional flood gates flew wide open. For I had forgotten the most important thing of all...the blessing I have in knowing my Lord and Savior. And knowing Him in a way this year like never before. This year, I understand the "unfailing love" of the Lord differently. His love that keeps my heart beating, though bruised and tattered. His voice that gently speaks to my soul. His fullness that is all I need. His heart that has changed mine.

I placed the heart leaf on the top of my pile, wrapped my arms around the sweet moments I was holding, wiped my eyes and headed home.

As I walked into my house, the sounds of my "blessings" already in full roar...I was glad to have my arms filled to the brim. Full of my blessings that I will display this year, my leaves of Thanksgivings. Plural.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Love it!

I'm just tooooo tired to blog...maybe tomorrow...we were up at 5:30 to do the Outback Distance Classic in Mandarin...Raleigh and I did the 6k...It was so awesome. That was my first time running in a race of that magnitude...sooooo many people!! It was such a moment to run down San Jose Blvd with 5000 people...I had a great run, stayed at about a 10 min mile. We need to talk this week about running the Festival of Lights Together...call me!!