Wednesday, May 21, 2008

God Blessed my Broken Road

"Bless The Broken Road"


I set out on a narrow way
many years ago
Hoping I would find true love
along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you


[Chorus:]Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were just Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

[Chorus]

Now I'm just rolling home
Into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.


Isn't this a great song?? I'm thrilled to see Christian artists using it these days...it certainly has a great message and sadly, I feel that I could be the "poster child" for its truths in my life. My road has been broken...not at all straight or even just crooked...just flat out broken! The good news here is this: The Lord does bless our brokenness, our past that is filled with baggage, and He can heal the pain that has been accumulated along the way! Where I find such truth in this song is that this broken road has always led me back to the Lord, His loving arms do await us all. Even when I think I'll try "my way" first! I certainly have made a mess of some things and found out the saying is true: "He didn't need my help as much as I thought He did"!!

10 1/2 years ago the Lord called me to go before my entire church congregation and publicly ask forgiveness for my sins. I felt strongly that I had to faithfully do what He placed upon my heart. I needed to do this in order to feel free to go before the Lord and ask Him to "bless my mess"!! I had to do my part and though it was extremely difficult...it wasn't a gray area for me. I wanted to find every way out of the "publicly asking others for forgiveness" part...but could never find it! What I did find was the overwhelming love of the Lord. The freedom in that moment when this congregation rose to their feet as a symbol of forgiveness and acceptance was a cherished moment in my life!

I can not find the words to express the peace that overcame me during that time. It was a challenging time in my life...but the Lord poured His grace upon me, forgave me for my rebellion (not to mention the sorry example of a Christian that I had been), and absolutely blessed my broken road!!

I am still today grateful for what God did in my life! He gave me a gift that I never knew I needed...but I did!! At this time I can't share the details of those days...but someday it may be more appropriate. For now, I will stand sure that the Lord will bless us...no matter what the road looks like!

(change of subject....)

For fun...here's a sweet side of my oldest son, Dakota! I always want to remember these little moments!!
Most every spider (or some other critter) that finds its way in our house is carefully caught and safely placed outside to run free! Dakota encourages me to put down my house shoe and consider the spider's situation saying; "mom, what did that spider ever do to you?"! And absolutely, he is right!
The spiders lives are spared and I am reminded that God uses these blessings called "children" to correct my thinking! (by the way, I think that spider went and told all his MANY spider friends the good news about our house...:) ) Regardless, I am thankful for the life and wisdom of my son! He is one of my many blessings!!
-Jill

No comments: